West Asheville Tailgate Market starting Oct 24, 2017. Very Cool!
Tuesdays from 2:30 to 5:30pm.
Asheville City Market 2017-2018 season!
Saturdays from 9am to 12pm on Market Street in Downtown.
These are some of the products that we are selling at the market on Saturday mornings.
Click on links to more info:
Click on links to more info:
Curcuma - Propiedades y Beneficios
Una planta repleta de cualidades La cúrcuma es una planta originaria de alguna región entre el sudeste asiático y la India, aunque actualmente se cultiva en varias partes del mundo donde el clima sea cálido y húmedo. Se trata de una planta con una historia milenaria. La cúrcuma ha sido utilizada, tanto en la cocina como sazonador de alimentos, como en la medicina para remedio de males, desde hace más de 4000 años.
El nombre científico de la cúrcuma es Curcuma longa y es una planta perenne que pertenece a la familia del jengibre. Tiene tallos gruesos y carnosos; puede crecer hasta convertirse en un arbusto de más de 1 m, con hojas verde oscuro y flores de colores amarillo, blanco y violeta.
Hoy en día la cúrcuma sigue teniendo las mismas aplicaciones y propiedades que desde hace miles de años, aunque se han descubierto muchos beneficios más de esta formidable planta.
Dado que posee un color amarillo intenso, se emplea como un colorante natural para los alimentos; y en muchos casos, es la raíz de esta planta el secreto de la coloración y sabor de diversas salsas y guisos muy característicos del Medio Oriente, como el curry.
¿Para qué sirve la cúrcuma? Diversas partes de la planta son útiles para agregar tanto sabor como color a muchas recetas culinarias, principalmente de las regiones donde se cultiva la cúrcuma. Y en cuanto al área medicinal, la planta tiene grandes propiedades como
Beneficios para cada parte del cuerpo Los remedios tradicionales a base de cúrcuma son utilizados principalmente para acelerar la recuperación de las heridas y para ofrecer protección al hígado. Las propiedades de la cúrcuma son útiles para aliviar enfermedades estomacales comunes como la indigestión y los gases, y también tienen la capacidad de estimular la actividad del sistema digestivo puesto que activan la vesícula biliar para segregar bilis y con ello mejorar la digestión.
Las propiedades antiinflamatorias de la cúrcuma pueden proporcionar significativa ayuda a los procesos artríticos, osteoartriticos y reumatoides. Se ha observado que estos compuestos antiinflamatorios son efectivos para actuar en las membranas mucosas de los pulmones y la garganta, por lo tanto pueden ser útiles para tratar el asma.
Además de sus agentes antiinflamatorios, la cúrcuma también posee propiedades antiespasmódicas. Las cuales pueden ser útiles para aliviar dolores asociados a los cólicos menstruales ya que éstos son causados precisamente por la contracción de los músculos uterinos.
La cúrcuma y su potencial para tratar el cáncer Los estudios más recientes han demostrado que este mismo compuesto ha sido útil para destruir cierto tipo de células cancerígenas in Vitro. Esto indica un gran potencial para atacar el cáncer, específicamente en el colón, en el páncreas y en la médula ósea, es decir, el mieloma múltiple. Por si eso fuera poco, otros estudios han arrojado resultados que dicen que este mismo compuesto puede ser útil para controlar el Alzheimer.
Una sazón con sabor a bienestar Muchos de los estudios que se han realizado para conocer las propiedades de esta planta surgieron tras observar que las poblaciones que incluyen a la cúrcuma como parte de su dieta cotidiana desarrollaban en notable menor medida ciertas afecciones como el cáncer y el Alzheimer.
Por lo tanto, la mejor manera de aprovechar las propiedades de la cúrcuma es incluyéndola tanto como sea posible en las comidas cotidianas. Es recomendable utilizar la cúrcuma como condimento en los platillos. Debido a su sabor, resultaría una buena idea sustituir el azafrán por la cúrcuma, aunque con mesura, ya que la cúrcuma puede ser un poco más picante. Asimismo, el sabor de la cúrcuma puede sustituir al de la mostaza.
Contraindicaciones y efectos secundarios de la cúrcuma Los beneficios de la cúrcuma son destacables y al ser consumida en cantidades moderadas, la cúrcuma se considera un alimento libre de riesgos. Sin embargo si se trata como un remedio medicinal que se ingiere en considerables cantidades, muy posiblemente haya efectos secundarios y contraindicaciones. Es recomendable que las mujeres embarazadas y las personas con problemas de la vesícula biliar eviten el uso de la cúrcuma.
Se trata de una planta que está siendo actualmente investigada y no existe una lista de medicamentos que se contrapongan con el consumo de la cúrcuma. Por ello, es recomendable hacer uso medicinal de esta planta bajo la supervisión de un médico o de un profesional de la medicina homeópata.
Health Benefits of Turmeric
The Scientific name of Turmeric is "Curcuma Longa" . It is also known as "Curcuma Domestica" and is popularly known as "Haldi" in India. It is a very powerful bright yellow/orange coloring spice use mostly in Indian Cuisines. Turmeric herb is full of medicinal properties and it is an excellent healing agent to cure various ailments and diseases in the body.
Turmeric herb is mostly use as a powder. Curcumin is the main active ingredient in turmeric and have wide range of therapeutic effects. Turmeric can be use both internally and externally.
There have been two more species that are commonly seen in Turmeric :
Curcuma Aromatica – It is commonly called as Wild Turmeric or Jangali Haldi in Hindi. In Ayurveda, it is known as Van Haldi.
Curcuma Amada - It is commonly known as Mango Ginger. In ayurveda it is known as Amgandhi Haridra. Mango-ginger is neither related to mango nor ginger but to turmeric (Curcuma longa). It is a rhizome which is pale yellow inside and lighter colour outside. When it is crushed it gives sweet smell of unripe mango.
Nutrients in Turmeric :
Turmeric is a source of dietary fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B6, niacin, manganese, iron, potassium, magnesium, omega 3 fatty acids, omega 6 fatty acids and phytosterols.
1. Good for Skin : Turmeric is natural and offers many benefits to your skin. It is one of the best and an effective natural remedy for treating spots and pigmentation, blemishes, scars or skin discoloration. The use of turmeric not only improves your complexion, the skin texture but also helps to protect against other skin ailments like eczema, acne, pimple, dry skin and psoriasis. It also hastens the process of recovery in case of smallpox, chickenpox, red rashes and other skin diseases, etc. Since, turmeric has ant-aging benefits, the use of turmeric in cosmetics and skin care products and remedies is inevitable. Turmeric helps to naturally slow the aging process, decreases the formation of deep creases and wrinkles on your face and restore youth to you. Turmeric can be use as a natural cleanser, whitener and facial masks. You can also add pinch of turmeric powder in a warm glass of milk and drink it regularly to get clean, clear and glowing skin free from acne, pimples, pigmentation, etc.
For facial mask, you can mix sandalwood and milk or rose water on turmeric powder and apply it on your face to improve your skin complexion. Use it regularly to see the result. You can also apply turmeric powder mixed with cucumber juice or lemon to the affected area and leave it on for about 15-20 minutes and wash off. It will give your skin a natural healthy glow. You can also mix turmeric with little gram flour and water and use it to scrub your face or apply it all over the body before taking a bath. Turmeric is an excellent remedy for avoiding stretch marks during pregnancy. Apply turmeric and yoghurt on the belly and wash it off after 5-10 minutes and continue this process of treatemnt regularly. It will help you to maintain elasticity of skin and avoid unwanted stretch marks in your body. Turmeric is the cheapest home beauty remedy.
2. Turmeric is Anti-Cancer : One of the main constituents of turmeric is curcumin. This curcumin is a powerful antioxidant that helps to protect against dreaded diseases like skin cancer, breast cancer, lung cancer, colon cancer and prostrate cancer. Curcumin content in turmeric helps the body to destroy mutated cancer cells and neutralize free radicals. It improves the immune system in the body and helps to fight cancer and tumorous growths. This aids to the prevention of cancer.
3. Protect Against Alzheimer's Disease : One of the main contributing factors in the development of Alzheimer's disease is the inflammation inside of the brain. The regular consumption of turmeric helps to prevent against Alzheimer's disease and other neurological diseases as well. Alzheimer's disease is very uncommon in India since the population consumes turmeric in their daily diet. A research study has shown that a compound in curry not only prevents changes in the brain that lead to Alzheimer's disease but it actually also, reverses some of the damage already present.
4. Turmeric Helps Prevents Heart Diseases : Turmeric is anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and rich in vitamin B6, therefore, it helps to protect heart diseases. It can reduce the bad cholesterol in the blood which is one of the main primary causes of artery blockage and heart attacks. It can help to improve blood flow the body as well as strenghten the blood vessels and aids to treating high blood pressure.
5. Turmeric is Anti-Inflammatory & Anti-Asthmatic : Turmeric is use as an effective natural home remedy for arthritis and asthma patients. Turmeric has a pain-relieving properties and is very helpful in reducing inflammations. Turmeric is a great natural cure for rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis. You can add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder to a warm glass of milk and drink it 2-3 times daily empty stomach early in the morning.
6. Turmeric is Use to Treat Digestive Disorders : Turmeric extract is good for your digestive system. Turmeric helps to stimulate production of bile in the liver and thereby improves the body's ability to break down fats. Add turmeric into foods like rice or bean dishes, it will help you to improve the digestion system in your body, reduce the formation of gas or acidity, heartburn and bloating. If you are suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome, turmeric may help to reduce the pain and irritation. You can drink milk with turmeric to cleanse your digestive system.
7. Turmeric Helps to Protect Against Liver Diseases : The turmeric extract can help your body to protect against damage caused by drugs or medications, effects of alcohol, nicotine and other harmful chemicals, etc by detoxifying the system. It can strengthen your immunity and help to fight against diseases like jaundice, hepatitis and cirrhosis.
8. Turmeric Helps to Strengthen the Bones : Drink a glass of turmeric extract with warm milk every night before retiring to bed. This will help to strengthen the bones in your body and reduce the risk of developing diseases such as osteoporosis.
9. Turmeric Helps to Treats Wounds : Turmeric is a natural antibiotic and anti-inflammatory that helps to heal wounds faster. Make a turmeric paste by adding a little water (Don't make it watery) and apply thick on the wound or injury. Put bandage or gauze over it. Turmeric has the ability to reduce pain and inflammations. It can stop bleeding and it is an excellent antiseptic for cuts and bruises.
10. Turmeric Helps to Treat Burns : The turmeric extract when applied on the burnt area prevents infection and helps in speedy recovery. This is an easy home-made natural remedy for burns. You can mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric with 1 teaspoon of aloevera gel and apply to the affected area. This will cool down the burning sensation and cure it naturally.
11. Turmeric is Effective in the Treatment of Eye Disorder : Uveitis is an eye inflammation that affects white outer layer of the retina. Uveitis can be acute or chronic and it usually affects one or both the eyes. If left untreated, uveitis can lead to permanent damage to vision, including blindness. Turmeric extract may be helpful top treat inflammation of the uvea.
12. Turmeric is Effective in the Treatment of Anemia : Turmeric is rich in iron. Therefore, it is considered as one of the best natural remedy to treat anemia. The extracted juice from the raw turmeric should be mixed with honey and consume. This will also help top repair your immune system.
13. Good Treatment for your Hair : Turmeric is a natural hair care treatment for dandruff, as hair colorants and dyes. Turmeric plant extracts are used as hair growth stimulators.
14. Effective in the Treatment of Cough, Cold & Flu : The antiseptic properties of turmeric extract are very effective in the treatment of chronic coughs and sore throat. Just drink a glass of warm milk with half teaspoonful of turmeric and ginger. You can add pepper too. You can sweeten the mixture with two teaspoonful of honey. Drink this mixture twice in a day. This is one of the most effective ways to curb down the chronic cough, cold or flu. When you are irritated with the problem of running nose, inhale the smoke of turmeric roots. The smoke will help you to breathe properly and give you quicker relief. Also, caraway seeds with powdered turmeric is useful in the treatment of cold. This remedy is very much beneficial for infants.
15. Female Related Health Problems : Turmeric is antispasmodic. Turmeric extract helps to reduce the severity of painful menstrual cramps or dysmenorrhea.
16. Effective Against Worms, Bacteria, Virus & Fungus : Regular use of turmeric extract can help you prevent against worms, bacteria, virus and fungus that can otherwise cause food poisoning, diarrhea, scabies, dysentery, smallpox and other related diseases. The compound, Curcumin, showed immense therapeutic potential against H. pylori, herpes simplex, hepatitis B, salmonella and Candida infections. Turmeric is diuretic and hence, it is effective against the treatment of urinary tract disorders. One of the best natural home remedy to expel worms from the body is by consuming raw turmeric juice with a dash of salt in the early morning hours or you can mix the dry turmeric powder with butter milk or plain warm water and drink it. This will kill the intestinal worms and protect the muscles of the intestine.
17. Turmeric is Anti-Diabetes : The presence of curcumin in turmeric helps to keep blood sugar level in check and prevent the onset of Type-2 Diabetes. Ayurvedic System of Medicine uses turmeric as one of the ingredients to treat diabetes since it lowers the blood sugar and increases the glucose metabolism. Therefore, easy and simple preventive measure to treat diabetes is take 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder twice a day with meals.
Curcumin extracts or capsules are also available in the market. You can use it as an alternative to the powder.
Some Side Effects of Using Turmeric : Turmeric is an effective natural home remedy for many diseases and ailments. It can be substituted for many medicines. However, there are some side effects due to excessive intake of turmeric which includes gastrointestinal disturbances and digestive problems. Turmeric should not be use by people who are suffering from health disorders like gallstone, bile disorders, stomach ulcers, obstructive jaundice, extremely toxic liver disorders, congestive heart disease whose cause remains unidentified. Likewise, turmeric extract should also be used carefully where the patient is taking any other medicine which acts as a blood thinner agent or delays its coagulation. It is also said that, pregnant women or if you are trying to conceive or have a history of fertility problems one should avoid intake of turmeric. You should always ask your doctor before consuming anything that you are not sure about if you are pregnant. Turmeric Curcuma is a safe herb with no toxic side effects but it is good to be always cautious and avoid excessive intake.
APART FROM HEALTH BENEFITS :
Turmeric can be use as a dyeing agent. The cloths worn during rituals in Indian ceremonies are dyed with turmeric. Yellow color is considered as sacred and auspicious color in India. The cloths dyed in turmeric are considered pure.
HOW TO USE TURMERIC :
Paste – It is applied on wounds and injuries. It is also used on skin related ailments, itching and burns. It fairs the skin texture. It also helps n promoting healing and it also lightens the scars on the body. It is also applied on abdomen in case of hepatomegaly and splenomegaly. It is also used in applying on piles.
Smoke – Smoke of turmeric is helpful in relieving from respiratory infections and disorder. It is also used in suppressing pain in case of scorpion poisoning.
Powder and Juice Extract – Its powder is used in suppressing pains in case of any external injuries. It is also used in nervous weakness. It regulates the digestive activities of the body and prevents tastelessness, indigestion and constipation. It strengthens the liver and prevents jaundice. It also has good role in asicitis. It is very beneficial in worm infestation. It purifies blood and also regulates blood production and hence given in anemia. It is very effective in case of allergy of any sort. It is good in case of throat infection and respiratory disorders. It is very useful in diabetes. It is also helpful in all kinds of fever especially chronic one. It is also helpful in poisoning and general body weakness.
The Fruit/La Fruta
The fruit growing at Fincalegre is exotic. From Asia, Australia, South American natives, we have fruit growing here from all over the place. Click on a fruit to learn more...
has twice as much vitamin C as oranges, high vitamin A content, good phosphorus, potassium, zinc, magnesium.
Sacha Inchi or Inca Nuts
with 52% Omega 3, it contains the highest Omega Oil content in vegetable form.
the largest tree bourne fruit in the world, it is said to be quite nutritious, using both its pulp and its seed for many uses, including juice, pulps and even soups. A.K.A. Nature's aphrodisiac....and its delicious...
Guayabilla or Sundrop
aromatic and strong, high vitamin and pectin content makes it a great ingredient for use in many recipes.
superfood aphrodisiac, it has high levels of protein, ascorbic acid, calcium and iron and very high levels of phosphorus.
Giant Bamboo Dendrocalamus Asper
super strong and beautiful, we use it to build houses and many other structures.
We're working on a modular cabin model made of this material.
The whole list... click below